If you are carrying extra weight in your body, then you might want to slim down. With a dose of motivation and focus on eating healthy, consuming healthier foods, and exerting effort in your physical activities, you can achieve results in a matter of months.
While weight loss might be about you getting to the ideal pounds in relation to your height and fitting on a shirt or jeans that you have been longing to wear, recent scientific studies have shown surprising effects of losing your pounds to your health. These medical discoveries, however, may be those that you may most likely be unaware of. So aside from losing weight for the sake of preventing the onset of obesity-related conditions, here are the top five reasons for doing so for the sake of good health and fitness:
- Weight loss is known to help improve your sleeping patterns – Research has found that weight loss is linked to having a better night’s sleep. Indeed, in a study conducted by the International Society of Endocrinology and the Endocrine Society, of the 390 obese adults who participated, many of them who lost at least 5 percent of their body weight got more sleep after losing weight for 6 months. They accumulated an additional 22 minutes in their sleep, as opposed to those who lost less than 5 percent of their bodyweight who were found to have only incurred an additional minute of sleep. Moreover, a different study has likewise shown that weight loss decreased the snoring and other related symptoms of sleep apnea on individuals.
- Weight loss helps your brain a lot – With excess fat deposits in the body, obesity can definitely harm the body, including your brain. In fact, it is 35 percent more likely that an obese person may develop Alzheimer’s disease as compared to his or her healthy counterpart. Fortunately, studies have shown that through weight loss, the likelihood of the brain getting damaged is reversed. Indeed, research has shown that people who underwent weight loss surgery (a.k.a. bariatric surgery) had improved their memory.
- Weight loss decreases joint and foot pain – According to radiology Sydney experts, carrying extra bodyweight can have drastic effects on the joints of your lower limbs, especially those on your hips, your knees, your ankles, and your feet. The joints in these areas of your body may become stressed, which could cause arthritis and further inflammation. But when you lose weight, you get to prevent the onset of pain in these areas, helping you use your lower limbs for walking and running without any difficulty. To know how losing weight can improve your health, it is suggested that you undergo radiology Sydney before and after to learn how slimming down can help you a lot.
- Weight loss improves sexual performance – Having extra weight can definitely affect one’s sex drive. Apart from the physiological changes to the body, especially in getting and maintaining an erection and increasing one’s libido, sexual performance may also affected due to lack of self-esteem and anxiety. Through weight loss, these effects are reversed.
- Weight loss saves you money – Being overweight or obese can lead a person to health problems that could definitely hurt his or her finances. Of course, there is a price to pay for having an obesity-related condition; aside from incurring medical expenses, one may have to skip work days, as well as face the risk of becoming less productive in the workplace. If extra weight is costly, losing weight isn’t. Health is wealth, as the saying goes, and maintaining a healthy disposition in life can truly help you improve your financial standing in life.
With all of these benefits, it is difficult not to be convinced that losing weight will help you live a healthier and happier life. So, eat healthier, drink meal replacement shakes for weight loss, and be more physically active to cut some pounds now.