Health

Is cooking on gas harmful for health?

Gas cooking is widely practised all over the world even after induction cooktops hit the market. The fact that gas cooking emits carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and other harmful gases into the air led to the question whether cooking gas is harmful for health or not. Researches have shown that there are indeed some harmful health implications of gas cooking. It is better to know about the health risks posed by gas cooking before deciding upon a cooking method.

Respiratory problems

Gas cooking can have a harmful impact on people already suffering from asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory ailments. A study has revealed that fumes generated by gas cooking causes inflammation in the lungs which results in breathing problems in people with impaired respiratory system. It has also been found in a study that asthma and other respiratory diseases are more prevalent in homes using gas stoves without ventilation as compared to homes using gas stoves with proper ventilation. As per the study conducted by a British medical journal, women who cooked on gas stoves suffered from double the respiratory problems as compared to women who cooked on electric stoves.

All in all, it can be said that gas cooktop should always be properly ventilated in order to cut down the risk of respiratory ailments.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Gas cooking carries the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide gas reacts with haemoglobin present in the blood to form a compound which makes it impossible for RBCs to carry oxygen. Long term exposure to carbon monoxide gas emitted by the gas stove causes respiratory ailments, headache, nausea, fatigue, impaired coordination and mental confusion. Carbon monoxide poisoning can also lead to death. The best course of action for people using gas cooktops is to install carbon monoxide monitors in their kitchens to detect carbon monoxide gas and regularly monitor its levels.

Chemical pollution

Gas cooking causes chemical contamination of the home as per experts. Chemical contamination causes allergy and chemical sensitivity in the inhabitants of the house. The effect is exacerbated in individuals who are susceptible to chemicals. The different chemicals generated by a gas cooking stove include formaldehyde, nitrogen dioxide, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, etc. The chemicals adhere to the skin and clothes and can even contaminate food. Thus, gas stove is known to cause indoor chemical pollution.

Moisture

Water vapour is produced due to gas combustion in a gas stove. In the absence of proper ventilation, the moisture accumulates in the building leading to growth of bacteria and viruses which cause health problems.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *